Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Week 13

Frequently Used Features:
  • Word
    • Cut, copy, paste, highlighting, spell check, paragraph formatting, headers, editing tools (comments, track changes, etc.), and various formatting tools (lists with bullet and numbered formats, etc.)
  • Excel
    • Graphing tools, sorting tools, functions and calculations for statistical purposes
  • PowerPoint
    • Most of the basic tools from Word, layout tools, inserting pictures and graphs, design themes, presentation tools

Potential Activities to Learn Basic Office Programs:
  • As a future English teacher, I find the editing features of Word especially helpful.  Students could practice peer editing their essays on computers utilizing Word's editing features.
  • Word also has citation tools that I have yet to explore.  I can imagine that these tools would be especially helpful to English students.  I could have students create an annotated bibliography of resources for a research paper using the citation tools offered through Word
  • To learn the features of PowerPoint, students could create a presentation for a book report in which they have to incorporate pictures relevant to the book or characters, as well as a video or sound clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment