Marc Prensky's article "Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants" presents valid ideas on an educator's approach to a digitally-immersed student body. I agree with the fact that students process things differently today than they did a half-century (or even a decade!) ago.
I don't entirely agree that today's generation is incapable of taking one thing at a time, which the article implied with its constant note on this generation's preference for random access. I learned, as one who probably belongs to this "Digital Native" category, that there are many characteristics of learning that I assumed the previous generation would share that they do not.
The article made me wonder if his assumption about this generation's attraction to games hasn't always been true. It seems that students at any time in history would have preferred playing a game to sitting and hearing a lecture. But perhaps I am allowing my "Digital Native" bias to speak...
No comments:
Post a Comment