Sunday, January 20, 2013

Week 1

Teaching is my "no duh" career.

I have always loved to help people.  Perhaps this is a common trait among future teachers, but even as a youngster, the biggest way for me to feel valued was by passing out napkins or cups in Sunday school or setting the table.

I had never really considered teaching as a future career, until one lackluster day during my junior year in high school.  In helping a peer with a homework assignment (a task not uncommon for me), it occurred to me that I was able to transfer successfully knowledge that I had and then watch her apply it in her own studies.

"No duh, Heather.  You do this all the time, and you love it."  This magical transference had a lasting effect on me: it determined my future career.

My attitude toward technology is not as open as it probably should be.  I tend to see technology as somewhat of a distraction in the classroom, but I also understand that it is necessary to make the classroom efficient and relevant.  Perhaps technology scares me somewhat because I feel that our society is losing important skills due to virtually universal access to technology.  I am excited to learn how to utilize technology when it will be useful and to know when it will merely be a distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment