Monday, February 25, 2013

Week 7

Math is my secondary (no pun intended) hobby.  When it comes to things I would like to teach, math is my second love, so I always find it intriguing to muse about ways to teach math.  These musings certainly involve technology.

One of the blogs I looked at linked to Bedtime Math, a blog devoted to posting a nightly math problem relating to something significant happening on the day and attempting to form of a bedtime story.  I think this is an ingenious idea because it could help kids link math to the fondness of a bedtime ritual.

While this site is obviously geared toward younger kids, the Math Matters blog does an excellent job of pointing out new discoveries and culturally relevant happenings related to math that would suit an older audience.  This blog could serve as a resource for teachers to make their math lessons more exciting.

P.S. While I discovered this site apart from this week's blog research, I simply cannot post about technology and math without referencing Khan Academy.  I could waste hours on this site.

1 comment:

  1. I too love math and appreciate your link to such a cute site. What a great way to tie in math to an every day event. In my public speaking class, Professor Pope expressed that it was effective to tie in a daily routine to the topic that you wish for the audience to recall. Having bedtime games tie into math only reinforces the creativity it takes to educate; education is indeed relevant to the student again.

    ReplyDelete