Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Reflection #4

I work in the Writing Center at my university, and in the course of the job, I get to interact with quite a few ELL students.  Our university recently began a foreign exchange program, and most of the students we receive come from sister schools in South Korea.  Helping these students with papers has caused me to think about how technology could help them in the classroom.

I can only imagine sitting through multiple classes a day in a foreign language and knowing that I would be tested on what I learned.  I wonder if teachers have tried to use technology in the classroom to bridge the language barrier.  I'm imagining using a powerpoint presentation to display key words from the lesson in a student's native language and in English.  I think this method would help them pick up the academic language faster and keep them on track with the rest of the class.  

Do you have any ideas on how to use technology to help ELL students in the classroom?  Do share.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. I can really relate to what you are saying here, seeing as I wasn't born in the United States and at one point had to learn the English language. I still remember sitting in classes and being completely lost because I simply could not understand what was being said. I can really relate to these Korean students, and I think your idea of using the powerpoint would be really helpful. Teachers could also show the students how to use something like Google Translate, and when these students don't understand certain words or ideas they could simply look them up. I know translators aren't always correct or effective, but it sure is better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a really relevant issue to be considering. Thinking specifically about the ELL students I've interacted with at NU, but also from my time in high school, it's evident that trying to process all of the content, let alone the language barriers, is a bit overwhelming at times. I think that using a translator app or program would be incredibly helpful in situations like these. In our Multicultural Ed class we discussed that often it would be easier and more beneficial for the student to be able to use their native tongue rather than struggle with the stress of translation and I think that using a translator app could be a really beneficial way to do that.

    ReplyDelete